ABOUT HARWOOD ART CENTER & ESCUELA DEL SOL
Harwood Art Center is a program of Escuela del Sol Montessori, an independent Montessori school. For over 40 years, Escuela del Sol has nurtured creativity, independence and academic excellence. Established in 1991, Harwood Art Center expands the school’s philosophy to serve a broad audience of youth and adults with a variety of programs, including art classes, studio rentals, gallery exhibitions and community outreach projects, as well as apprenticeship, teaching and professional development opportunities. Escuela and Harwood are dedicated to building a love of lifelong learning, creative expression and positive impact on our community and our world.
ABOUT HARWOOD SUMMER ART CAMP
Summer Art Camp offers multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural experiences for youth in grades 1-9. Since 1996, Harwood’s summer programing has fostered creativity and curiosity in young artists of all skill levels. Art Camp provides in-depth skill building as well as opportunities for both individual and collaborative creative exploration. Summer Art Camp runs over four two-week sessions throughout June and July with full and half day options for students. Summer Art Camp is open to the public on a first come, first served basis through paid registrations.
For more information about Harwood and / or Summer Art Camp, please visit www.harwoodartcenter.org
Summer Art Camp Guides will work with students and Teaching Artists at Harwood's Summer Art Camp to guide the students through their sessions at camp and act as a first point of contact with students, including problem solving with children, assisting teachers, as well as communicating with parents and Harwood administration.
Guides will work directly with Harwood Summer Art Camp, by working closely with Art Camp Lead Guide, Teaching Artists and Harwood administration. Duties also include:
- Working with the teaching artists in the classrooms, assisting with classroom management, alerting Lead Guide to any issues with teachers or students each day;
- Travel with assigned student group throughout the day into visual and performing arts classes, including snack and recess breaks;
- Participate in classroom activities to set positive examples for children;
- Provide breaks for students as necessary;
- Be the first point of contact with students in their group;
- Monitor children during all recess/outdoor activities;
- Keep children on schedule;
- Staff the extended care program, as needed (7:45a – 9a or 4p – 5:15p).
REQUIREMENTS & PREFERENCES
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Willingness to learn about Harwood Art Center - Escuela del Sol and to serve as an ambassador for our organization through working with teachers, administration, students and parents;
- Excellent verbal and problem solving skills;
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail;
- Experience working with children and youth, ages 6 – 14;
- Interest and experience working in a visual and performing arts environment;
- Ability to embrace creative challenge in the classroom;
- Capacity to follow instructions carefully, manage time and students efficiently;
- Experience working with diverse populations;
- Ability to interact and communicate with students, teachers, administration and parents in a friendly, courteous and articulate manner;
- Must be 18 or older.
Additional knowledge, skills and abilities preferred:
- CPR and First Aid Certified;
- Experience in the arts;
- Interest in summer camps and nonprofit organizations.
SCHEDULE & COMPENSATION
Up to 40 hours per week / Monday – Friday normal business hours, throughout June and July 2018
$10 - $12 Hourly Rate
Dani Belvin, Programs & Education Coordinator